Meditation while Exercising
To become a conscious leader of your life, it takes conscientious daily effort to separate your mind from conscious thought. In doing so, you allow your heart to hear guidance and communicate with your mind through your unconscious and super-conscious thought. An easy method to do this is through music and dancing. This five minute daily practice of a unique form of meditation combines visualization, prayer and dancing for inspiration, exercise and mood-enhancing energization. Regardless of religion or belief system, this active meditation (I call it “Medicizing”) is most effective when adapted to individual preferences.
The “Prayer Dance”
- Grab a pen and a journal/notebook (that can document your “Prayer Dance” inspirations) and select a song that elevates your mood (with lyrics that inspire you and a rhythm that is danceable). It could be a song that brings back happy memories, shares empowering words or otherwise lifts your spirits. The length of the tune is insignificant, and it’s fine to rewind it if you aren’t finished with these steps by the time it ends. Similarly, it’s permissible to pause the music to write down a reminder note of a thought that comes to mind during the process.
- Press play and start jumping/dancing as simply or elaborately as you feel comfortable (I squeeze in my stomach and buttocks for added exercise and close my eyes for less distraction). As you do so, breathe deeply as you call in the unseen universal forces who are ready to co-collaborate with your life to bring your dreams and goals into reality. Solicit assistance and guidance for the hours and days ahead.
- *Picture your departed loved ones, your spiritual guides, saints of all religions, your past and future selves. Exude loving thoughts to them and visualize their love enveloping you as you draw it in by waving your arms inward.
- Picture your loved ones on earth and those who need prayers, think of relationships that could be healed or released through the power of forgiveness. As you’re imagining, wave your arms outward to radiate love and energy to them.
- Recall to your mind anything you would like to be forgiven for and special assistance you desire in any area of your life. Mentally ask for guidance and support in those areas while waving hands inward to integrate the universal forces ready to assist you.
- Conclude the experience in a state of gratitude. Picture love and light empowering you. Make a commitment to be open to heart-centered guidance. Pledge to understand that even if your day does not go as expected, everything that happens is part of a greater plan of divine timing. Embrace the concept: “It’s always working out, even when it isn’t” and vow to remember that fact throughout the day when frustration or disappointment strikes.
- After the song ends, immediately text, email, call or write a note to three people that come to your mind AT THAT MOMENT (don’t forget that it’s also fine to pause the dance briefly to send a quick message or jot down a thought) – the key is to take immediate action after you’ve felt an urge to reach out to someone or been inspired with an idea.
- Repeat Daily. Watch the magic unfold around you as you use this tool to help become a conscious leader of your own life and inspire others to do the same.